Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How it all started

This is the story of how owning a dog, actually two, has helped and enriched the life of my disabled son. I bought my son a black lab in 2000 as a companion, he was becoming ill and the doctors were having a difficult time pinning a diagnosis to the illness. Eventually, after about 3 years, the diagnosis was Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) also known simply as Lupus.

He named the dog Madame Rachael, Rachael for short. She was 9 weeks old and they bonded instantly and deeply. As time went on I observed interactions between them that truly were amazing. Rachael became extremely in tune with my son and his illness.

The first benefit I saw was that having Rachael meant that regardless of how bad he was feeling there was a reason for him to get out of bed and feed, water, exercise, and potty her. Without having this responsibility I really think he would have lost a great deal more functionality than he has.

As I blog along I'll relate more stories of the benefits of owning Rachael and the bonding between my son Scott and Rachael, as well as what is happening with them now. I'll also introduce his other Dog Lady Rhonda, Rhonda for short.

No comments:

Post a Comment